Environment as a part of the corporate culture
The desire to be the environmental leader in our field of business guides our actions and results in Our Promise to the Environment. It is a part of our culture, the way we think and evaluate our actions. The promise is devided into four sectors that cover all our operations from every-day routines to innovations and from strategy to helping our customers in the field.
Green energy: By 2028, all company operations are carbon neutral
By improving our energy and material efficiency, we are playing our part in combating climate change and promoting sustainability. In production, we invest in environmentally friendly technology, as well as clean and energy-saving production processes. We have set an goal to be a carbon neutral company by 2028. In order to get there, we have smaller targets to hit along the way.
- From 2019 onwards, Kiilto has been participating in environmental projects aimed at adding carbon sinks (e.g. planting forests in nearby areas)
- By 2025, we will reduce our energy consumption per tonne produced by 20% from the level in 2010.
- By 2028, we will only use energy that is fully renewable.
Green packaging and logistics: A positive environmental impact is the foundation of our packaging solutions.
When developing products, we continuously seek raw materials and forms of packaging that are kinder to the environment. By growing sales of our environmentally and safety-classified products, we are improving occupational and customer safety in our own working environment and customers’ premises.
- By 2025, 70% of our packaging materials are reusable, renewable or made from recycled materials.
- Kiilto will start a packaging waste collection program by 2019.
Green services: We provide the best circular economy solutions in our industry.
In addition to optimizing our own operations, we provide our customers with more environmentally friendly products and services that help them to have more sustanable processes, working methods and end products. Increasing understanding of the environmental aspects is crusial in continuous improvement and that is why training plays a very important role in our green services.
- By 2020, all Kiilto trainings will have contents on sustainable development and environment. We train 20,000 people per year in Finland.
- All of our customer meetings in 2020 will include the discussion of environmental issues.
- All Kiilto personnel will receive environmental training in 2020.
- We will reduce our customers’ use of materials. From 2023 onwards, our target is 200,000 kg per year.
Green material choices: We are the leading circular economy company of our industry.
We promote the circular economy and use bio-based raw materials to decrease our use of non-renewable natural resources, while reducing our carbon footprint by lowering waste amounts and using our production side-streams. We also investigate opportunities for using recycled raw materials that are by-products of other industries.
- Towards zero waste. We will halve our amount of waste (per produced tons) by 2022.
- Circulating materials. We will double the share of renewable and circular raw materials by 2022.